Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Chapter 10

I found this chapter extremely helpful for me when I become a teacher. Right now I am only a substitute teacher and I am uncertain of what the elementary school has in place for all of these. I do know that there are Internet filters that Friel discusses in the chapter. I think the idea of blocking as much inappropriate information to elementary student is very important. "Because it is impossible to block everything that might be deemed objectionable, perhaps the best solution is to teach responsible Internet use and then give students the freedom to make informed and appropriate choices. Blocking software cannot substitute for education and supervision." (Friel, 2001). This is an excellent quote for students and teachers. I think that it is probably easier to keep the younger children (K-5) off the inappropriate Internet sites rather than the older children (6-12). Obviously, duh! Thanks, Mike for that quote! I like the idea of of having an AUP in order for teachers to observe the students. I will have to check to make certain that the school I sub for actually has a policy. Do any of you know if your school has one that is published so that you can read it?

Plagiarism is another topic that must be addressed as stated in the text. "Educators must teach student the importance of citing all of their sources, no matter what the format." (Friel, 2001). Citing the source is often difficult and "boring" however, it must be done. The students need to know that not citing their sources, it is actually stealing.

Friel, L. (2001). Using technology appropriately: policy, leadership, and ethics. San Francisco:
Jossey-Bass.

3 comments:

Teresa Coffman said...

Pew Internet – Protecting Teens Online is an interesting study that discusses some of the issues covered in our chapter. More and more families are placing filters on home computers. 81% of parents in the study believed that their teens were not responsible enough online and filters were needed. Interesting. If you have a chance to read the complete study it would be interesting to hear what you think the implications of this study are for schools?


An article by Nancy Kranich,
Why filters wWon’t protect children or adults
discusses some of the problems of filtering. Interesting. There are many perspectives. What do you think schools and teachers should do about this very important issue?

Teresa Coffman said...

My links did not go through above...here they are below.

Pew Internet Study - Pew Internet – Protecting Teens Online
http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/152/report_display.asp


An article by Nancy Kranich,
Why Filters Won’t Protect Children or Adults
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/ifissues/issuesrelatedlinks/whyfilterswontprotect.htm

Sarah Belzer said...

Laura,

Here is a link to Fairfax County Public Schools AUP.

http://www.fcps.edu/Directives/R6410.pdf

If you have a hard time connecting to it-- type www.fcps.edu in your web browser. Click on parents. Click on forms. Click on policies. Click on Acceptable Use Policy.

Filtering does present interesting issues to censorship. I also think that censorship at the elementary level is completely ok. I believe that its more of an issue in high school because by then, society expects them to act as young adults and to start taking responsibility for their actions and own beliefs. I don’t think filters alone are the answer. I think parents are the answer. If you think that your child is not responsible enough to be on the internet without supervision, then you should supervise them and set limits on the use of the computer. It’s becoming more and more frustrating to me, when I have parents who assume its my job to raise their children. My job is to teach their children, not raise them. I have my own to raise. (I seriously had a parent of a kindergartener tell me that it was my job to teach their son to brush his teeth in kindergarten...WOW… is all I have to say.)